Hello everyone. I have come up with a great and grand idea (my own opinion of course). Not too many of you know, but my husband is a Type II diabetic, and has been since he was diagnosed in 1996. Well, we have had our ups and downs with this disease, literally. Over the past few months prior to this one his blood sugars have been sky high, up into the high 200's. So, after threatening to take him into the emergency room, we decided to really tackle this disease head on.
We, as a family, have made some life-altering changes. For one, we have joined the local fitness club, which the girls LOVE. They have racket ball courts, basketball courts, and such to keep them busy while dad and I kill ourselves on the equipment. Second, I have decided it is high time I try to be very careful with what I cook, and have available to eat. Remember, people with diabetes CRAVE food that is filled with carbohydrates because their body isn't absorbing the sugars it needs, it is just floating around in their blood. So don't be too hard on them.
At any rate, I have thought that maybe sharing my menus with others would help someone out there that is struggling with this same issue. I know I struggle every day trying to do what is best for my husband, and sometimes I do fail, cook the wrong things, and his blood sugar goes way up.
Today I am going to give you my recipe for enchilada's.
1. I start with these new tortilla's I found at Wal-Mart. They are whole-
wheat and low carb, only 7 grams per tortilla.
2. I use 97/3 ground turkey. Because of the disease, a lot of diabetics have a higher chance of heart attach and/or heart disease. So, using the turkey really cuts down on the cholesterol. Also, another plus, it is usually (not always but most of the time) cheaper than ground beef.
3. You can use a lower sodium enchilada sauce, this would help with those that have a higher blood pressure. Remember, if it's better on the heart, try it.
4. I used Spanish Rice as a side dish. I usually use brown rice, but they don't have the boxed Spanish Rice in brown rice. Diabetics can have rice, they just have to watch their portion. Only about 1/2 of a cup of brown rice (cooked) is all they can have. If using white rice, probably only 1/4 would be the serving size. Serving sizes are very important to watch. We all know you can have too much of a good thing.
Okay and for the recipe:
1 lb. ground turkey
1 lg. can (or 2 small) enchilada sauce
10 small tortilla's
2 cups low-fat cheese (your choice)
low-fat sour cream
salsa
diced onions
Fry the ground turkey until no longer pink. Use about 1/2 of your enchilada sauce and 1/2 of the cheese to mix with the meat. After the cheese is melted, then take and fill your tortilla's and roll them up.
Line them up in a glass baking dish (sprayed with non-stick spray) and poor remaining sauce over the enchilada's and top with cheese. Bake for about 15-2o minutes on 350.
I found one recipe that said to dip the tortilla in the sauce and then fill with meat and roll up. But it's a bit messy.
Here's a photo, I know, it's not beautiful, but you can see that it looks good. We have to double this recipe, and most of the time, there are none left.

1 comments:
Yummo!
I use low carb tortilla all the time. If you need some other recipes that have lower carb counts, let me know...
Hang in there! Change is tough! I have finally made it to 98 pounds but I think I am going to step up my carb count just a bit and NOT go down to 95 as suggested by the trainer. I am still going to use lower carb recipes though and I have some that we love!
Post a Comment