I had to write a small article for our church's monthly newsletter we send out to the community. Well, I was wanting to write on how our actions speek louder than our actual words do. So I began typing and my thoughts were just all jumbled up. So, I went to my handy-dandy google and typed in what I was looking for. Would you believe there was already an aritcle out there in cyberspace! At any rate I am going to post an abbriviated article, and if you have time, you might find it interesting. Happy reading!
Actions Speak Louder Than Words
Communication isn’t just words, it is any behavior which someone else interprets as having a message. We speak with our posture, with a sigh, with a tone, with almost any action we take. In fact, the experts tell us that 65 percent or more of all our communication is nonverbal which is more powerful than verbal messages.
That is why it is so important for Christians to be aware of our actions, and to make sure that what we do is consistent with what we say. Being consistent will help us to have harmonious relationships, successful instruction, and an effective testimony.
As a wife, if my husband asks me to cook his favorite meal and I say I will, but never get around to it, what am I telling my husband; “Your happiness is the least of my concerns,” and soon he begins to believe the actions above the words.
As a mother, I try to teach my children to complete their chores willingly and cheerfully rather than with a complaining spirit. But what happens when I complain every time I do a chore that I don’t like? The kids haven’t learned much about willingness and cheerfulness. Children will far more follow what they see before they follow what they hear.
Christians must back what they say with what they do, and that is for the sake of the lost who are watching. If they know we are Christians, they are probably observing everything we do. And everything we do communicates something.
We can tell our non-Christian acquaintances that Christ makes a difference in our lives, but they will pay more attention to our actions. Do we talk to the store clerk with any more kindness than the unbeliever does? Do we show a gracious smile any easier? Do we treat our families with more unselfish consideration?
The world is watching. Christians will show by their good behavior their deeds in the gentleness of wisdom (James 3:17). The only way we can do that is by plunging ourselves in the person of Jesus Christ, occupy our thoughts with Him and His Word, letting Him capture our love, control us completely and live through us. Then the hypocrisy will be gone and others will know that we are real—our families, friends, fellow-workers, as well as the unbelievers around us. And they will begin to believe our words.
Adapted from bible.org, Richard L. Strauss, Actions Speak Louder Than Words,. 2006, Biblical Studies Press; reprinted with permission from www.bible.org.
That is why it is so important for Christians to be aware of our actions, and to make sure that what we do is consistent with what we say. Being consistent will help us to have harmonious relationships, successful instruction, and an effective testimony.
As a wife, if my husband asks me to cook his favorite meal and I say I will, but never get around to it, what am I telling my husband; “Your happiness is the least of my concerns,” and soon he begins to believe the actions above the words.
As a mother, I try to teach my children to complete their chores willingly and cheerfully rather than with a complaining spirit. But what happens when I complain every time I do a chore that I don’t like? The kids haven’t learned much about willingness and cheerfulness. Children will far more follow what they see before they follow what they hear.
Christians must back what they say with what they do, and that is for the sake of the lost who are watching. If they know we are Christians, they are probably observing everything we do. And everything we do communicates something.
We can tell our non-Christian acquaintances that Christ makes a difference in our lives, but they will pay more attention to our actions. Do we talk to the store clerk with any more kindness than the unbeliever does? Do we show a gracious smile any easier? Do we treat our families with more unselfish consideration?
The world is watching. Christians will show by their good behavior their deeds in the gentleness of wisdom (James 3:17). The only way we can do that is by plunging ourselves in the person of Jesus Christ, occupy our thoughts with Him and His Word, letting Him capture our love, control us completely and live through us. Then the hypocrisy will be gone and others will know that we are real—our families, friends, fellow-workers, as well as the unbelievers around us. And they will begin to believe our words.
Adapted from bible.org, Richard L. Strauss, Actions Speak Louder Than Words,. 2006, Biblical Studies Press; reprinted with permission from www.bible.org.

0 comments:
Post a Comment